Adair County Food Ordinance
Adair County, Missouri adopted a county-wide food ordinance in December 2002. The ordinance is administered by the Adair County Health Department by plan review, consultation, education, and inspections.
This ordinance includes requirements for (1) permits as well as (2) training of management and food handlers.
View a complete copy of the Adair County Food Ordinance.
The ordinance incorporates the most recent Food Code as adopted by the state of Missouri, which is currently the 2009 Missouri Food Code. The Missouri food code may be accessed by the Missouri Food Code. Routine inspections of retail food establishments are based on this food code. View more information regarding inspections.
The county ordinance requires food establishments or food processors/distributors to obtain an annual permit.
Five Types of Permits
- Food Establishment
- Mobile Food Unit
- Food Processor/Distributor
- Temporary Food Establishment
Each of these permits, with the exception of temporary food service, requires a Food Establishment Permit.
Temporary Food Service
The Adair County Food Ordinance requires temporary food events lasting two or more consecutive days to submit an Application for Temporary Food Establishments and a $20 permit fee. Temporary Food events that are only for one day are still required to follow the Guidelines for Temporary Food Establishments (no application or permit fee required).
The Kirksville Kiwanis sponsor a farmer’s market each Saturday on the Kirksville square from 7:00 am till noon May through October. Farmers Market Guidelines have been established for vendors wishing to sell certain items.
Food Safety Training Ordinance Requirements
The Adair County Food Sanitation Ordinance describes the training requirements for managers and food employees working in food establishments in Adair County. Those requirements are summarized below.
For restaurants, including deli’s, caterers, and mobile food units
- The “Person in Charge” (on duty) must have successfully completed a nationally accredited food sanitation course, and
- At least 50% of all food employees on duty at any time when the food establishment is open must have successfully completed the Basic Food Sanitation Course, or a nationally accredited food sanitation course.
For basic taverns and convenience stores with limited food service, and Retail Stores with unpackaged potentially hazardous foods
- The Manager must have successfully completed a nationally accredited food sanitation course, and
- At least one food employee on duty at any time that the food establishment is open for business, must have successfully completed the Basic Food Sanitation Course, or a nationally accredited food sanitation course.
For retail stores and taverns selling only pre-packaged foods and canned goods
- The Manager must have successfully completed the Basic Food Sanitation Course, or
- The Manager must have successfully completed a nationally accredited food sanitation course.
For temporary food establishments
- Training for managers and employees working in temporary food establishments is encouraged.
Both the Basic Food Sanitation Course and the ServSafe Certification Course are provided by the Kirksville Area Technical Center and/or the Health Department. You may contact the Technical Center at 660-665-2865 or see the schedule below.
Online Basic Food Handler Training
Adair County Health Department is now offering online basic Food Handler Training through StateFoodSafety.com. Training is available in 5 languages. Visit adairmo.statefoodsafety.com to get started.
Upcoming Training (at the Technical Center)
SERVSAFE FOOD SAFETY CERTIFICATION COURSE
(each course consists of 4 sessions - you must attend each session. ServSafe 7th edition books must be ordered prior to class from ServSafe.com)
Contact Technical Center at 660-665-2865 to register.
September 14, 19, 21, & 26, 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm
BASIC FOOD SANITATION COURSES (in English)
September 6, 2023, 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
October 18, 2023, 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
November 16, 2023, 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
December 12, 2023, 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
ONLINE NATIONALLY ACCREDITED FOOD MANAGER CERTIFICATION COURSES
(Tests will require a proctor at a testing center).