Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness
The Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) provides leadership to effectively prepare for, respond to, and recover from a public health emergency, caused by either a natural or manmade disaster. The Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness is located within the Adair County Health Department. We work closely with Emergency Services, other County/City Departments, Health Care Partners and community agencies.
Our Primary Responsibilities
- Develop and integrate all-hazards public health response plans
- Educate the public and train the county response partners in:
- Integrated Shelter Support
- Isolation and Quarantine
- Mass Fatality
- Mass Vaccination and Mass Prophylaxis
- Medical Surge
- Strategic National Stockpile Plan
- Conduct drills and exercises to test plans
- Recruit, train and deploy NEMO MRC (Medical Reserve Corps) Volunteer Team
Although many people do not believe Adair County would be a target for a bioterrorist attack, several key agencies are partnering to prepare for a potential attack. These key agencies include:
- Public Health Department
- Office of Emergency Management
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)
- Law Enforcement
- Fire Protection
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
Active surveillance will alert Health Department officials to a potential outbreak or attack. Emergency plans advise key partners on how to respond. Medication dispensing sites* have been designated and can be opened if there is a need to dispense medication to county residents.
You can join in these preparedness efforts by taking steps today to protect yourself and your family.
- Educate yourself on the threats of bioterrorism.
- Have an emergency plan* for your family.
- Pack a disaster prep kit*.
- Understand what it means to shelter-in-place*.
- Volunteer in your community.
Live life! Remember, keep the threat of bioterrorism in perspective, and enjoy each day of life.
Public Health Emergency Alerts
Receive notifications, locate emergency shelters, & more. Download the app, my Alert by Konexus using the links below for Google Play and the App Store.
Planning for any emergency or disaster is important to keep your family safe during a disaster. Below are links to sources of information on how to prepare for an emergency and what to do if a disaster strikes.